Practical Summer Workshop in Functional Genomics
Focus on Plant-Microbe Interactions
May 30 - June 13, 2020
The Ohio State University, Center for Applied Plant Sciences
Columbus, Ohio USA
The 2020 Practical Summer Workshop in Functional Genomics will be held May 30th through June 13th. This two-week workshop is open to domestic and international participants. By participating in the workshop you can expect to meet world-renowned speakers and instructors while learning cutting edge technology.
This workshop includes daily lectures by distinguished speakers with expertise in metabolomics, high throughput sequencing, functional genomics, and fluorescent imaging. Along with seminar attendance, participants will spend time gaining hands-on laboratory experience with modules led by Ohio State faculty members Jessica Cooperstone, Jonathan Jacobs, Dave Mackey, and Jason Slot and CAPS bioinformatics specialist – Mike Sovic.
Advanced undergraduate students, master’s students, and new Ph.D. students are encouraged to apply for the workshop.
Visit the official flyer or download it below!
1. Identification of virulence genes of plant-pathogenic bacteria using Tn-Seq (Dr. David Mackey)
2. Visualization of plant pathogenesis (Dr. Jonathan Jacobs)
3. Investigating the phytobiome with nanopore sequencing (Dr. Jason Slot)
4. Plant Metabolomics (Dr. Jessica Cooperstone)
Confirmed Speakers :
|Monday, June 1, 2020||
University of British Columbia
|Tuesday, June 2, 2020||
University of California, Davis
|Wednesday, June 3, 2020||
|Thursday, June 4, 2020||
University of Minnesota
|Friday, June 5, 2020||
University of Massachusetts, Boston
|Monday, June 8, 2020||
University of California, Davis
|Tuesday, June 9, 2020||
University of California, Berkeley
|Wednesday, June 10, 2020||
Weitzmann Institute of Science
|Thursday, June 11, 2020||
University of Wisconsin, Madison
Cost (includes lodging, breakfasts, lunches, and events):
$2,000 single occupancy, or
$1500 shared (double) occupancy
Travel is not included in the registration cost.
Financial aid is available to help offset the cost of tuition.
A laptop computer is required for the workshop.
In the application we are asking for:
- Your contact information
- A personal statement of (500 words or less)
- A statement of need for scholarship (250 words or less, optional)
- Recent CV/Resume
The planning committee will begin reviewing applications on February 15, 2020, and will notify applicants of the decisions on March 1, 2020.
Did you receive your acceptance and are looking to secure your spot? Use the instructions below to submit your payment for the event! Payments can be made by credit card or check.
Payment by Credit Card:
If you are a new user, sign-up to place your invoice and make a payment. This is a multi-step process.
- Go to this website:
- You will need to add in your information and click “sign up”.
- Next, you’ll need to login to your email to confirm your email address and create your account.
- Once you do this step, you can log-in and add your personal information. You must provide the following information before you can pay your invoice.
- Your job title – select undergraduate or graduate student
- Your telephone number
- Your billing addresses
- Your shipping address in your native language if you are located in China
- Your school/organization
- Your PI to pay the invoice: Jessica Weitthoff
- If you are a returning user…
- Your username will be your email address
- Reset your password
- Complete your personal information
- Find your invoice under the “Account Information” tab and pay using a credit card
Payment by Check:
Make check payable to:
“The Ohio State University Center for Applied Plant Sciences”
The Ohio State University Center for Applied Plant Sciences
1060 Carmack Road, 012 Rightmire Hall
Columbus, OH 43210 USA
If you have any questions for the payment process, please email firstname.lastname@example.org